Carrot-Pistachio Pesto with Bulgur and Chickpeas
This raw carrot and pistachio blend was an instant hit in the Whole Living test kitchen. You could also thin it with lemon juice and olive oil and use as a salad dressing.
- Servings: 4
Source: Whole Living, March 2012
- 1/2 cup cracked bulgur
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried fruit, such as currants, golden raisins, or chopped apricots
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, torn if large
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic (about 1 small clove)
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, toasted
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon wedge
Place bulgur in a heatproof bowl and add boiling water. Season with a pinch of salt and cover with a plate until water is absorbed and bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in chickpeas, scallion, dried fruit, and mint.
Meanwhile, pulse carrots, garlic, and pistachios in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Drizzle in oil and process until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir pesto into bulgur mixture. Squeeze with lemon and adjust seasoning, if necessary.