Smoky Bell-Pepper Pesto on Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
Break your mayonnaise habit by slathering this fiery spread on sandwiches. Roasting brings out the sweetness of bell peppers, and chipotle pepper turns up the smoky-spicy quotient. Swap it for salsa the next time you make tacos, burritos, or rice and beans.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 large roasted red bell peppers, stems and seeds removed
- 1 jarred chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic (about 1 small clove)
- 2 tablespoons raw almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 8 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 4 leaves escarole
- 4 slices sharp cheddar (4 ounces)
Preheat grill to medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil. Grill chicken until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Let stand 5 minutes, then slice on the bias.
Pulse bell peppers, chipotle pepper, garlic, almonds, and oregano in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil and process until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread each slice of bread with pesto. Layer with sliced chicken, escarole, and cheddar.