Broccoli-Spinach Soup with Avocado Toasts
No cream required: Tahini gives this soup its buttery flavor and silky texture -- and makes a serving of dark leafy greens unusually enticing. Sliced avocado dressed with lemon and sprouts jazzes up ordinary crusty bread and rounds out this balanced meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts thinly sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock or water
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped (6 cups)
- 6 ounces baby spinach (6 cups)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices rustic bread, toasted
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/4 cup radish sprouts
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add stock; bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, Parmesan, and tahini. Let cool slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth.
Top bread with avocado and radish sprouts. Season with salt and pepper, squeeze with lemon, and drizzle with oil.