Gluten-Free Corn-Cheddar Muffins
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups, and lightly coat each with cooking spray.
Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, oil, and eggs in a medium bowl. Fold buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture, then gently fold in cheddar cheese and thyme until combined.
Spoon batter into baking cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of each comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes. Turn out muffins onto rack. Let cool completely.