Meyer Lemon-Yogurt Cake
This cake can also be baked in an 8-inch cake or springform pan. The baking time is the same.
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup fruity olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Meyer lemon zest
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (save the pod to infuse tea blends)
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 Meyer lemon, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat Greek yogurt
Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously brush an 8-inch Bundt pan with oil and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
In a medium bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until combined. Add oil, yogurt, lemon zest, and vanilla seeds. Add dry ingredients into wet ones and mix until just barely incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake until golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan before unmolding.
Make the topping: In a small saucepan, bring cane sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add lemon slices and gently simmer until rind is transparent, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and let cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, oil, yogurt, and 2 teaspoons water until smooth. If too thick, adjust with a little more water.
Spoon topping over cake and top with drained lemon slices.
SourceWhole Living, December 2011