Spicy Peanut-Shrimp Soup
Stirring in peanut butter at the end rounds out the spiciness and adds body to this Thai soup, but fish sauce is the real secret here, used for its savory-salty punch.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Whole Living, December 2011
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 small red chiles, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 pound medium shrimp, cleaned, tail on
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
In a medium saucepan, simmer stock, garlic, chiles, ginger, and fish sauce for 10 minutes.
Whisk in peanut butter. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
To serve, fill bowls with baby spinach. Ladle soup over spinach and garnish with scallion.