Avocado, Beet, and Orange Salad
This hearty fall salad is full of flavor and studded with crispy homemade croutons.
- Yield: Serves 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Whole Living, October 2011
- 1 small bunch beets (1 lb), trimmed
- 2 slices rustic bread, torn into 1-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 navel oranges, peel and pith removed, segmented
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon toasted salted sunflower seeds
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Wrap beets tightly in foil and roast until tender, about 1 hour. Once cool, remove skin and slice.
Meanwhile, toss bread pieces with 2 tablespoons oil, season with salt and pepper, and toast until golden, about 6 minutes.
Whisk vinegar, orange juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over beets, avocados, oranges, spinach, and croutons. Season with salt and pepper. Top with sunflower seeds.