Open-Faced Lobster "Rolls" with Avocado Spread
This lighter take on the lobster roll exchanges the mayo for a lemon-avocado puree and the usual buttered roll for a slice of grilled bread.
- 2 whole lobsters (1 3/4 pounds each)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices rustic Italian bread, grilled or toasted
- 2 cups watercress
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Garnish: finely grated lemon zest
Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Plunge lobsters into water headfirst, and simmer, covered, for 11 minutes. (Do not let water boil.) Transfer to ice-water bath using tongs. Let stand for 10 minutes to cool.
Crack lobster claws, knuckles, and tails, and remove meat. Chop meat into chunks.
Toast fennel seeds in a skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute; grind. Transfer to a food processor; pulse with avocado, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons scallions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and some pepper until smooth.
Spread avocado mixture onto bread; top with watercress. Arrange lobster meat on top, and sprinkle with remaining scallions. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon lemon juice and the oil. Garnish with lemon zest.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, August 2011