Charred Eggplant Dip
This smoky dip's flavors get stronger -- and better -- when it sits in the fridge for a couple of days. Try keeping it on hand to serve when friends drop by for a drink, or to add it to sandwiches.
- Servings: 6
- Yield: Serves 6 (Makes 2 cups)
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Whole Living, September 2011
- 2 small eggplants, pricked
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Radishes, wax beans, or carrots, for dipping
Broil eggplants on a rimmed baking sheet, turning occasionally, until soft and charred, about 20 minutes. When cool, remove skin and stems and mash flesh.
Stir in garlic and lemon juice and season with salt and red pepper flakes. Drizzle with oil and serve with vegetables.