Souvlaki is usually served with tzatziki, a yogurt sauce with cucumbers. This version has more cucumber than yogurt, for a dish with crunch and freshness but few calories.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2011
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, cut 3/4 inch thick, and separated into slices
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
- Garnish: oregano leaves
Whisk together lemon zest, 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, half the garlic, the oregano, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add chicken, and toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together remaining lemon juice and garlic, the cucumber, yogurt, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
Heat grill to medium-high. Thread chicken, tomatoes, and onion onto 4 metal skewers. Brush with remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and season with pepper.
Grill skewers, turning, until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Grill pitas until charred, about 2 minutes per side.
Serve skewers with charred pitas and cucumber-yogurt sauce. Garnish with oregano leaves.