Cilantro Salsa with Coconut and Lime
This salsa makes a wonderful dipping sauce. It can also be spooned over grilled shrimp, fish, chicken, or lamb.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 scallions, white and light-green parts only, chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, seeded for less heat, if desired
- 3 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, (about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
In a small skillet, heat cumin seeds over medium heat until toasted and aromatic, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly, then crush lightly with the side of a knife.
In a food processor, process scallions, garlic, and chiles until finely chopped, about 10 seconds. Add cilantro, crushed cumin, lime juice, 2 tablespoons water, coconut, salt, and oil; pulse to form a coarse paste, about 10 times. Serve at room temperature.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June 2003