Under 30 Minutes
Asparagus with Shiitakes, Shallots, and Peas
Harbingers of spring, asparagus and peas pair well with the earthy flavor of shiitakes mushrooms. Serve warm or at room temperature. Per serving: 98 calories; 4 g protein; 5 g fat; 11 g carb; 3 g fiber.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 shallots, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 medium thick asparagus bunches, tough ends removed, cut on diagonal into 2-inch lengths (2 pounds total)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
In a large nonstick skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium. Add shallots and cook until they begin to color, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until mushrooms and shallots are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add lemon zest and tarragon; toss to combine.
In the same skillet, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add asparagus, season with salt, cover, and cook until asparagus is bright green and tender, 3 to 4 minutes (timing will vary depending upon thickness of asparagus). Add peas to skillet, and then drain.
Transfer to bowl with the shallots and mushrooms, add lemon juice, and toss to combine.