- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 30 sandwiches
Source: Body+Soul, December 2009
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- 7 1/2 ounces (1 stick plus 7 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup apricot jam
Pulse almonds and sugar in a food processor until the texture of coarse meal. Transfer to a bowl. Pulse flour and butter in food processor until the consistency of coarse meal. Add yolks and lemon juice; pulse. Add almond mixture and lemon zest and pulse until dough comes together. Remove from processor and knead once or twice to combine. Pat into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/4-inch thick. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut rounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown on edges, about 18 minutes. Let cool.
While cookies are baking, bring cream to a boil and pour over chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes; stir until smooth. Let cool. Whisk until thick.
Spread 1 teaspoon jam onto one cookie, then sandwich with a second cookie. Spread with a bit of ganache on top. Chill before serving.