Sweet Onion Salad
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2007
- 1 small Vidalia onion, very thinly sliced with a sharp knife or a mandoline (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced with a sharp knife or a mandoline (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 medium head radicchio (about 8 ounces), cored, leaves separated and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 large leaves red-leaf lettuce, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup red and yellow grape tomatoes (about 5 ounces), halved if large
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Put onions into a large bowl of cold water. Swish onions with your hands until water becomes cloudy. Transfer onions to a clean bowl of cold water, and let soak 15 minutes. Repeat twice. Drain, and pat dry. Transfer to a large bowl.
Whisk together vinegar, honey, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.
Add radicchio, lettuce, tomatoes, and parsley to bowl with onions. Drizzle with dressing to taste, and toss. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.