Sweet Onion Salad
- 1 small Vidalia onion, very thinly sliced with a sharp knife or a mandoline (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced with a sharp knife or a mandoline (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 medium head radicchio (about 8 ounces), cored, leaves separated and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 large leaves red-leaf lettuce, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup red and yellow grape tomatoes (about 5 ounces), halved if large
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Put onions into a large bowl of cold water. Swish onions with your hands until water becomes cloudy. Transfer onions to a clean bowl of cold water, and let soak 15 minutes. Repeat twice. Drain, and pat dry. Transfer to a large bowl.
Whisk together vinegar, honey, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.
Add radicchio, lettuce, tomatoes, and parsley to bowl with onions. Drizzle with dressing to taste, and toss. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, March 2007