Potato and Sweet Potato Tian
Layer-and-bake dishes offer ways to turn leftovers into something luscious -- and they're ideal mediums for healthful ingredients. In this dish, a little Gruyere cheese provides a decadent texture, while sweet potatoes, leeks, and tangy grated apple make the dish especially moist, so you can use less fat.
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple (6 ounces), cored and grated
- 3 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/8 inch thick, and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces grated Gruyere cheese (1 cup)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss together potatoes, sweet potatoes, apple, leeks, oil, and 1 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Transfer to a 9-by-12-inch oval baking dish, spread into a thin layer, and cover with parchment-lined foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Raise oven temperature to 400. Remove, uncover, and top with Gruyere. Bake until bubbling and top is browned, about 30 minutes.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, February 2010