Potato and Sweet Potato Tian
Layer-and-bake dishes offer ways to turn leftovers into something luscious -- and they're ideal mediums for healthful ingredients. In this dish, a little Gruyere cheese provides a decadent texture, while sweet potatoes, leeks, and tangy grated apple make the dish especially moist, so you can use less fat.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2010
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple (6 ounces), cored and grated
- 3 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/8 inch thick, and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces grated Gruyere cheese (1 cup)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss together potatoes, sweet potatoes, apple, leeks, oil, and 1 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Transfer to a 9-by-12-inch oval baking dish, spread into a thin layer, and cover with parchment-lined foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Raise oven temperature to 400. Remove, uncover, and top with Gruyere. Bake until bubbling and top is browned, about 30 minutes.