Chicken Cacciatore with Cremini Mushrooms
A hearty dish for a cold winter's day, this hassle-free one-pot meal puts healthful ingredients front and center.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Body+Soul, January/February 2009
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces, skin removed (except from wings)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled plum tomatoes in juice, drained, and broken up
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a 5-quart slow cooker, stir together chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, flour, wine, celery, onion, rosemary, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Cover; cook on high setting until meat is tender, 4 hours. Do not lift the cover of the slow cooker while cooking. To serve, discard rosemary sprig.