Grilled Chicken and Corn Lettuce Wraps
Grilling ears of corn in the husks before cutting off the kernels gives the resulting wraps a smoky-sweet taste.
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Makes 8 wraps
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2008
For the Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from about 4 limes), plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 jalapeno chile, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
For the Corn
- 2 ears of corn, husks intact
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
For the Lime Yogurt
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 8 large leaves iceberg lettuce
Make the chicken: Place chicken in a large bowl. Add lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and oil, and turn chicken to coat. Cover and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for 1 hour.
Make the corn: Preheat grill to medium-high. Soak corn in cold water for 15 minutes, and drain. Grill corn and scallions, turning both occasionally. Cook scallions until tender, about 5 minutes. Cook corn until husks are brown but not black and kernels are cooked through, about 12 minutes.
Let corn cool slightly, and then husk. Cut kernels from cobs, chop scallions, and combine with oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
Remove chicken from marinade, and season with the salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
Make the lime yogurt: Stir together yogurt and lime juice in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
Assemble wraps: Divide chicken, corn, yogurt, and avocado among lettuce leaves. Serve immediately with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs.