Baked Artichokes with Breadcrumbs
Artichokes aren't as prickly to prepare as they may seem. Let veggies take center stage and serve these as the main event.
- Servings: 4
Source: Body+Soul, April 2010
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chives, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 artichokes, trimmed, with top 1/4 cut off
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine breadcrumbs, oil, chives, lemon zest, garlic, and cheese. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Cut off the top quarter of the artichokes lengthwise, and remove the chokes.
Season artichokes with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Divide the bread mixture among the four artichoke halves, packing it into the cavities.
Place artichokes in a pan just large enough to hold them. Add about 1/2 inch of water, and cover tightly with foil.
Bake until the artichokes are tender and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about an hour.