Under 30 Minutes
Autumn Greens Salad with Sunflower Seeds
Cold-pressed sunflower oil is available at some health food and import stores. It has a deep, nutty flavor and provides vitamin E.
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, preferably cold-pressed
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, very thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 4 to 6 leaves of leafy greens such as Swiss chard and kale (preferably lacinato), stemmed and thinly sliced (3 cups)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toast sunflower seeds on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer until golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, stir mustard, lemon juice, salt, and maple syrup together in a small bowl; whisk in oil until emulsified.
Toss brussels sprouts, chard, and kale together. Stir in sunflower seeds and pour in dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
SourceBody+Soul, December 2009