Strawberries and rhubarb are summer's best friends -- cook them up together in this quintessential dessert.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Frederic Lagrange
Source: Whole Living, June 2011
For the fruit
- 8 ounces strawberries, hulled and halved (quartered if large)
- 8 ounces rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
For the topping
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
For the garnish
- Fresh basil leaves, torn if large
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, raw sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Transfer to an 8-inch baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, butter, brown sugar, and salt. Stir until combined and slightly clumpy. Sprinkle over fruit.
Bake until juices are bubbling in the center and topping is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly. Garnish with basil.