Goat Cheese, Cranberry, and Walnut Canapes
Tart goat cheese is the perfect counterpoint to crunchy, rich walnuts in this appetizer perfect for your next cocktail party.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
- Yield: Makes 24 pieces
Source: Body+Soul, November 2008
- 24 walnut halves (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 24 thin slices whole-wheat baguette, from 1/2 baguette
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus leaves for garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss nuts with 1 teaspoon oil and cinnamon; season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, 4 to 6 minutes; set aside to cool.
Spread baguette slices on same baking sheet and brush with remaining 3 teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake until lightly toasted, 10 to 15 minutes, rotating pan halfway through; set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together cheese and 2 tablespoons water until smooth; stir in cranberries and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Divide goat cheese among bread slices and top each with a walnut and thyme leaves.