Asian Steak Salad with Spicy Vinaigrette
An Asian salad of seared steak, red bell peppers, carrots, papaya, cabbage, fresh mint, cilantro, and sesame oil delivers antioxidants in every bite. In this nutritious salad, papaya, red bell pepper, and cabbage provide vitamins A and C, while carrots contribute large amounts of beta-carotene. Cilantro and mint supply flavonoids, and peanuts add vitamin E and selenium, all potent antioxidants.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Richard Gerhard Jung
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2002
For the Marinade
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 scallion, white and light-green parts only, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
For the Salad
- 12 ounces flank steak
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, julienned
- 1 head Napa cabbage, tough outer leaves removed, julienned
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, packed
- 1 cup bean sprouts (optional)
For the Dressing
For the Garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted peanuts
Prepare the marinade: Place lime juice, zest, ginger, garlic, and scallion in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Place steak in a shallow dish; cover with marinade, turning to completely coat. Transfer to refrigerator, and marinate 1 hour.
Remove steak from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking; let sit at room temperature. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade, and season with black pepper. Sear steak until browned on the outside and cooked to desired doneness inside, 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Transfer steak to cutting board; let cool slightly, and thinly slice on the bias.
In a large bowl, combine red bell pepper, carrots, cabbage, papaya, cilantro, mint, and bean sprouts, if using. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, and toss well to combine. Arrange vegetables and steak on four serving plates. Garnish each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped peanuts.