Spicy Yogurt and Cucumber Dip with Pappadams
This creamy dip is great on pappadams (crackerlike flatbreads). Crisp them in a microwave or an oven before serving.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
- Yield: Makes 2 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2010
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger (from one 1-inch piece)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 large pappadams (kalustyans.com), heated and broken into pieces
Place cucumber in a fine sieve set over a bowl; let stand to drain for at least 20 minutes. Press down on solids to extract liquid.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook curry powder until just beginning to bubble, about 45 seconds. Transfer to a bowl; let cool slightly.
Stir in cucumber, yogurt, chutney, ginger, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with pappadams.