Under 30 Minutes
Green Beans with Creamy Mushrooms and Shallots
This twist on a standard green bean casserole is elevated to creamy, delicious heights, thanks to thick low-fat Greek yogurt.
- 1 3/4 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/3 cup 2 percent Greek yogurt
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch beans until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook shallots, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer shallots to a small bowl, and wipe skillet clean with a paper towel.
Whisk together stock and cornstarch. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add shallots. Whisk in stock mixture. Cook until thick, about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Toss in beans. Serve warm.