Southwestern Breakfast Hash
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Whole Living, April 2011
- 2 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 3 scallions, cut into 1/4-inch slices (reserve 1 for garnish)
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast seasoning
- 1 package (8 ounces) plain, pasteurized organic tempeh, crumbled
- 1 medium avocado, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring potatoes to a boil in a pot of salted water. Cook until knife-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook jalapeno, scallions, tomatoes, beans, yeast, and tempeh, stirring, until tomatoes begin to break down, 5 to 7 minutes. Add potatoes and cook until heated through. Remove pan from heat and gently stir in avocado. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved scallion.