"Creamy" Spinach Curry
This recipe recalls the popular Indian dish saag paneer. Its use of tofu instead of paneer, an Indian cheese, makes it lighter and more convenient.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Body+Soul, April 2009
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 14 1/2 ounces vegetable broth
- 6 bunches flat-leaf spinach (about 3 pounds), trimmed, washed, and chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package (12 1/2 ounces) extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garam masala; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add broth; bring to a boil. In batches, fill skillet with spinach; cook until wilted, adding more spinach as room becomes available, 2 to 3 minutes; season generously with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer spinach until soft and liquid is mostly evaporated, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and gently stir in tofu and yogurt; serve over rice.