Garlic-and-Chive Mashed Potatoes
Using a ricer yields mashed potatoes with an especially light, fluffy texture. Garlic and chives give them a resonant flavor.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2010
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup 2 percent Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
Bring milk and garlic to a boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat, and let stand. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a medium pot, and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, and pass through a ricer or a food mill. Return to pot.
Heat potatoes over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until slightly dried out, about 2 minutes. Strain milk mixture into pot. Discard garlic. Stir in butter. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt, chives, and 1 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Garnish with chives. Serve warm.