Pasta and Vegetable Salad
For a tastier and healthier side dish, try this fresh spin on an old standby at your next summer outing. With its high protein content, it works as a main course, too.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Body+Soul, July/August 2009
- 12 ounces Kamut spirals
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups (one head) small broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup flax oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 small head radicchio, cored and shredded (about 3 cups)
Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot, add pasta and salt, and cook until pasta is al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Add broccoli and continue to cook until the pasta is tender, 1 minute longer. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, and garlic in a large bowl; add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Add drained pasta and broccoli and stir to coat with dressing. Let cool. Mix in tomatoes, olives, basil, parsley, and radicchio; stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.