Buttermilk Potato Salad
Using high-protein, low-fat buttermilk makes this potato salad taste richer than it is. Leaving the skins on the potatoes means more fiber and flavor.
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup dill sprigs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
Cover potatoes with water by 1 1/2 inches in a 2-quart pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes can be pierced easily with the tip of a knife, about 20 minutes. Drain, and let cool completely. Cut potatoes into halves, or quarters if large.
Stir potatoes, creme fraiche, buttermilk, horseradish, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Gently stir in herbs just before serving.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, August 2009