Favorite Summer Sandwich
Tomato sandwiches of all kinds are a staple in a summer kitchen. This version, packed with thickly sliced, juicy garden tomatoes, can be a bit messy to eat. To make it easier, cut each sandwich in half, without the top slice of bread, then cut the remaining bread slices in half and place them on top. Use thinly sliced bread and the higher-fat ingredients such as avocado sparingly.
- Yield: Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices of organic black bread or seven-grain bread
- 1/2 cup Red Pepper Coulis
- 1 cup sprouts (sunflower, daikon, radish, clover, or alfalfa)
- 1 medium-size red onion, grilled or raw, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, each cut into 6 slices
- 1 medium-size ripe Hass avocado, peeled, halved, pit removed, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Spread each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon of the coulis. Divide the sprouts evenly among 4 of the slices. Arrange 2 onion slices and 3 tomato slices in an even layer over the sprouts. Arrange the avocado over the tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with a slice of bread and serve.