Under 30 Minutes
Italian Bread Salad
Italian country bread makes this salad a little heartier than most.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into thick wedges
- 1 English cucumber, peeled in strips, halved lengthwise, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small bulb fennel, stalks removed, bulb halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices whole-wheat country bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces ricotta salata cheese, shaved
In a large bowl, whisk together oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, cucumber, fennel, onion, and olives. Toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat. On a baking sheet, toast bread until light brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes a side. Place the bread on a work surface and rub cut side of garlic against bread. Discard garlic. Cut bread into 2-inch pieces.
To serve: Place bread in four shallow bowls. Top with tomato salad and scatter basil and cheese over top.