- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 medium pineapple, trimmed and cut into cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the oil and shallot and cook until the shallot rings are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the pineapple and sugar and cook, stirring to coat the pineapple with the sugar, until the sugar is dissolved and the pineapple begins to soften.
Add 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice and the balsamic vinegar and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the remaining juice and cranberries and cook until the cranberries pop and the juice thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in the thyme and serve. The chutney will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator up to one week.