Corn, Fava Bean, and Cucumber Succotash
During the transition from spring to summer, in that very short time when the bounty of both seasons' produce is available, take full advantage with this fresh, flavorful succotash recipe.
- Servings: 4
- 1 cup fresh fava beans (from about 20 pods)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons finely diced white onion
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
Blanch the fava beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well. When the beans are cool enough to handle, remove their skins. Set the beans aside.
Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent but not brown, about 5 minutes.
Raise the heat to medium and add the cucumber. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until the cucumber is tender, about 6 minutes. If the onion begins to brown, add a tablespoon or two of water and continue cooking.
Add the corn and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the fava beans and bell pepper. Season and cook 2 minutes more, until tender. Stir in the tarragon and serve.