Asian Broth with Poached Shrimp, Scallops, and Soba Noodles
- Servings: 6
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 2000
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch (about 6) scallions, greens and whites separated, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1/4 cup grated ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 6 ounces sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 ounces dried soba or buckwheat noodles
- 1/2 pound sea scallops, muscle removed, each cut in half crosswise
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled, tails left on
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add garlic and scallion whites; cook about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; stir to coat. Stirring occasionally, cook mushrooms until tender, about 3 minutes. Add sake; scrape up any browned bits on bottom of pan. Stir in grated ginger and any accumulated ginger juice. Add 8 cups water; bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer; stir in chestnuts, snap peas, and cabbage. Add noodles; stir, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes.
Stir in scallops, shrimp, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook until seafood is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve garnished with scallion greens.