Shaved Artichoke Salad with Parsley and Parmesan
For this fresh and nutty spring salad, we sliced the artichoke hearts with a mandolin (get our instructions for how to prepare an artichoke heart). As you work, transfer hearts to a large bowl of water with the juice of one lemon to prevent discoloration.) You can also slice thinly with a sharp knife; use a vegetable peeler to shave the Parmesan.
- 2 artichoke hearts
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts or raw whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley leaves, torn if large
Halve each artichoke heart lengthwise.
Thinly slice the hearts, tossing with 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice as you slice (to avoid discoloration).
Arrange on a platter, top with Parmesan, and drizzle with olive oil and remaining lemon juice. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to taste.
Sprinkle nuts and parsley over the top, and serve immediately.
SourceBody+Soul, April 2010