Grilled Vegetable Salad
When grilled, marinated bell peppers and onions caramelize into juicy, sweet vegetables.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2008
For the Vegetables
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 8 portobello mushroom caps, gills scraped out with a spoon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 ounces grated fontina cheese (1 cup)
- 4 slices rustic bread, halved diagonally
For the Salad
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 ounces mixed salad greens
Make the vegetables: Combine vinegar, oil, oregano, red-pepper flakes, and garlic. Pour over onion, peppers, and mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet. Marinate at room temperature, turning occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove vegetables from marinade, and reserve marinade. Season vegetables with the salt and pepper; grill, turning and brushing occasionally with marinade, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes for onion, 10 to 12 minutes for peppers and mushrooms. Fill mushrooms with cheese; grill until cheese melts, about 30 seconds. Grill bread until toasted, about 30 seconds per side.
Make the salad: Whisk together oil, the salt and pepper, and 3 tablespoons reserved marinade; toss with greens. Serve with vegetables and bread.