Easy Vegetable Stock
Surprisingly easy to make, this stock is built on basic vegetables that are often already on hand (carrots, onion, leeks), plus a few herbs.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 6 cups
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2011
- 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, cut into 1-inch rounds, rinsed well
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 cups water
- 5 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns, crushed
Cook leeks, carrots, onion, and garlic, covered, stirring occasionally, in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Add water, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Raise heat to high. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour through a cheesecloth-lined strainer; discard solids.