Shredded Brussels Sprouts With Lemon and Poppy Seeds
Catherine McCord, the founder of Weelicious, a website with easy, kid-friendly recipes for busy parents, created this side dish. Shredding makes the brussels sprouts beautiful and lacy.
- Servings: 8
Source: Whole Living, November 2010
- 1 lemon
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, stem ends trimmed, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
Using a vegetable peeler, peel 3 long strips of lemon zest, avoiding white pith. Thinly slice zest; set aside. Squeeze 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and toss with brussels sprouts in a medium bowl.
Heat butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Saute sprouts for 2 minutes, until bright green and tender. Add salt, pepper, garlic, zest, and poppy seeds and cook an additional 2 minutes. Pour in stock and cook 1 minute more.