Beet, Cabbage, and Carrot Slaw with Caraway Seeds
This flavorful slaw is bursting with vitamin C courtesy of raw red cabbage.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Sang An
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2003
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white or yellow miso paste
- 1 small shallot, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups julienned or grated beets (about 2)
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage (1/4 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups julienned or grated carrots (about 3)
Make dressing: In a small bowl, combine caraway, lemon juice, miso, and shallot. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified. Season with pepper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine beets, cabbage, and carrots. Drizzle dressing over vegetables, and toss until combined. Serve chilled or at room temperature.