Wheat Berry Salad with Walnuts, Dates, and Celery
If you don't have time to soak the wheat berries overnight, do a quick soak: Put them in a pot of cold water, and bring them to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 1 hour, and drain.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2010
- 8 ounces wheat berries (1 cup), soaked overnight and drained
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 to 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pitted dates
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Place soaked wheat berries in a large pot, fill with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
Combine vinegar and orange juice and zest in a small bowl. Pour in oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until emulsified.
Combine wheat berries, celery, walnuts, and dates. Stir in vinaigrette and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper.