Miso Soup with Tofu and Kale
Kale, ginger, garlic, and soybeans, in the form of miso and tofu, combine to lend flavor and nutrients to a delicate soup.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Richard Gerhard Jung
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2002
- 5 cups water or unsalted vegetable broth
- 2 scallions, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons light-colored miso
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 ounces kale, trimmed and shredded
- 6 ounces firm tofu, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add scallions, ginger, and garlic. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Add miso, and stir to dissolve. Add soy sauce, kale, and tofu; return to a simmer, and continue cooking until kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.