Hazelnut and Turkey-Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Servings: 8
- Yield: Makes 24 pieces
Source: Body+Soul, November 2008
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces raw turkey sausage (about 2 links), removed from casing
- 24 medium white button mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped blanched hazelnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat or plain dried breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove stems from mushrooms, trim ends, and finely chop. Add chopped stems, hazelnuts, garlic, shallot, and rosemary to sausage; season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
To cooled sausage mixture, add egg and breadcrumbs; stir to combine. Place mushroom caps on a large rimmed baking sheet and season cavities with salt and pepper. Stuff caps with sausage mixture, packing tightly.
Bake mushrooms until tops are browned and caps are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with additional rosemary before serving.