Spicy Pineapple-and-Mint Salsa
Fresh mint brightens this chunky pineapple salsa with red onion. Serve with grilled pork or fish, such as red snapper or striped bass.
- Servings: 6
- Yield: Makes about 3 cups
Photography: Alan Benson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2003
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, seeded for less heat, if desired, and very thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 pineapple, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
In a medium bowl, combine the onion, chiles, garlic, orange and lime juices, and pineapple. Add oil; stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour. Just before serving, add mint; toss to combine.