Roasted Beet Salad
Toasted caraway seeds infuse this salad with subtle hints of anise and lemon. Dry-toasting seeds and spices releases their flavor, giving most any dish incredible depth without adding a bit of fat.
- Servings: 4
- 8 small beets, cleaned and trimmed (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups red oak leaf lettuce
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Wrap the beets in parchment paper, place on a small baking sheet, and roast in the oven until they yield to a paring knife, about 35 to 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, toast the caraway seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk together the oil and vinegar, add the toasted caraway seeds, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
When the beets have cooled, peel and cut them into eighths. Toss the beets in the dressing. Divide the lettuce among 4 salad plates and arrange the beets on top.