Olive and Eggplant Dip
Briny olives bring a gratifying richness to this Mediterranean- inspired eggplant dip.
- 2 Italian eggplants (10 ounces each), halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, such as Picholine or Sicilian
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano, plus small leaves for garnish
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus long strips zest for garnish
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, flesh cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place eggplants, cut sides up, on a rimmed baking sheet, and brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Scatter garlic over tops, and sprinkle with salt. Roast until golden and tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Remove eggplant seeds; spoon flesh and garlic into a food processor. Puree; transfer to a medium bowl.
Add olives to processor, and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add to bowl with eggplant mixture. Stir in chopped oregano, lemon zest, red-pepper flakes, and remaining teaspoon oil. Garnish with oregano leaves and lemon-zest strips. Serve with bell peppers.