Chunky Bean Dip
- One 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- One 8-ounce container plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 rounds 6-inch pita bread
- Cooking spray
Place half the chickpeas and half the cannelloni beans in the bowl of a food processor along with garlic and yogurt. Puree until smooth. Add remaining beans, and pulse until coarsely chopped.
Set aside 2 tablespoons tomato for garnish. Transfer mixture to a bowl; stir in remaining tomato, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and lemon juice. Set aside.
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, combine remaining teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, thyme, and parsley. Spray both sides of pitas with cooking spray, and place on grill. When bottoms are browned, about 30 seconds, flip pitas, and sprinkle one of the cooked sides with herb mixture. Cook until both sides are browned. Cut pitas into wedges; serve warm with reserved bean dip. Garnish with reserved chopped tomato.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July/August 2000