Lemon Chicken with Avocado-Corn Salsa
Grilled chicken cutlets are even healthier when they're accompanied by an avocado salsa with protein-packed beans and fiber-rich corn.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (each 8 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 ears corn, husked
- 2 teaspoons seeded, finely chopped, fresh red, hot chiles (such as cayenne or jalapeno)
- 2 tablespoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces baby arugula
Combine chicken with 2 tablespoons each oil and lemon juice. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour (or up to 3).
Stand an ear of corn on one end, and using a serrated knife, cut off kernels; repeat (you should have 1 cup total).
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add corn, chiles, and ginger, and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
Preheat grill to medium. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 5 to 6 seconds.) Grill chicken, flipping once, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
Stir together beans, onion, corn mixture, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon oil. Add tomatoes and avocados. Season with salt and pepper, and stir gently to combine.
Toss arugula with remaining 2 teaspoons each oil and lemon juice.
Divide arugula among plates, and top with chicken and avocado-corn salsa.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2007