Jerk Chicken with Pineapple-Cilantro Rice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar, packed
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, split
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, thyme, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and light-brown sugar. Set spice mixture aside.
Place 2 chicken breasts between layers of plastic wrap. Pound chicken to a 1/2-inch thickness. Transfer to a glass baking dish, and repeat with remaining breasts. With all the spice mixture, rub breasts on both sides. Cover with plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Stir in the rice, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until rice is tender but still firm,10 to 12 minutes. Drain; rinse with cool water. Transfer to a bowl, and stir in the pineapple, cilantro, bell pepper, and olive oil. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover, and chill.
Heat a grill or heavy grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until it is browned on both sides and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Serve with the cooled pineapple rice and lime wedges.