Sweet-and-Sour Chicken with Israeli Couscous
Gentle simmering and a tongue-tickling sauce keep lean chicken breast meat juicy and flavorful.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bone-in, skinless chicken breast halves (12 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 jarred peperoncini, drained
- 1/2 cup dried Israeli couscous or orzo
Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook until soft and translucent, 10 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until soft, 2 minutes. Add chicken, orange juice, vinegar, currants, sugar, and peperoncini. Bring to a simmer; cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, 20 minutes. Cut each piece in half.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add couscous, and cook until al dente. Drain. Serve chicken with sauce over couscous.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 2009