Easy Romesco Sauce
Spread this sauce made from bell peppers on our Turkey Sandwich. This recipe makes a generous amount of the sauce, but it also tastes great with other dishes, such as grilled vegetables, pasta, and seafood (especially shrimp and halibut).
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Body+Soul, November 2009
- 3 red bell peppers, tops removed, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 slice (about 2 ounces) whole-grain bread, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted
- 1 small tomato, cored and quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Heat broiler with the rack in top position. Place peppers, skin side up, on a broiler pan or baking sheet and broil until the skins blister and blacken in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer peppers to a bowl. When peppers are cool enough to handle, peel but don't wash them (the water would rinse away some of the roasted flavor).
In a food processor, pulse bread and almonds until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add peppers, tomato, oil, vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; process until mixture is thick and fairly smooth, 20 to 30 seconds. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.