Under 30 Minutes
Spread this sauce on our Turkey Sandwich. This recipe makes a generous amount of the sauce, but it also tastes great with other dishes, such as grilled vegetables, pasta, and seafood (especially shrimp and halibut). If you like, you can freeze it in ice cube trays and transfer the cubes to a separate container for future use.
- 3 red bell peppers, tops removed, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 slice (about 2 ounces) whole-grain bread, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted
- 1 small tomato, cored and quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Heat broiler with the rack in top position. Place peppers, skin side up, on a broiler pan or baking sheet and broil until the skins blister and blacken in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer peppers to a bowl. When peppers are cool enough to handle, peel but don't wash them (the water would rinse away some of the roasted flavor).
In a food processor, pulse bread and almonds until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add peppers, tomato, oil, vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; process until mixture is thick and fairly smooth, 20 to 30 seconds. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
SourceBody+Soul, November 2009